View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 2:09 PM

My contribution

Intro: Hello everybody.
Since I discovered this Forum, I have been an enthusiast follower of all your work, and I have learned many things about this city, Los Angeles, which I love so much.

Thanks to you folks, and thanks to all LA lovers of its history, I have been able of seeing Los Angeles changing and growing up from 'El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora, la Reina de Los Ángeles, to the present day. In addition I must admit that all of your work has opened my appetite to create my own thread in a spanish forum like this one. (With Moderator's permission, here's the link: http://www.urbanity.es/foro/urbanism...y-cristal.html)

I tried to be a good student and I started my learning about Los Angeles with your help, and among others, with LAPL website and USC Digital Archives.
I never dared to post anything here since my english is not my natural born language, and I was very afraid of being severely criticized just for this simple reason.

But now all my fears are over and this is my first contribution. I hope you like it.

Now let's work.
I've always loved all this then and now pics. Do you remember the next following pictures?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I bet you do, because they have been already reposted on another post. The first one shows 4th street from Hill street looking west, and the second one shows almost the same corner in Downtown, both in 1939.
Well, if we put them all together, we get a very good panoramic of 4th and Hill intersection, looking northwest:

Et voilà. A busy street, right? Pedestrians walking along the street, and many business. Amazing, isn't it? The present show us a very different and ugly reality.

It's the same corner, in 2009. It looks like an aseptic view because it seems to me that everything we saw in the picture above, has been cleaned, and vanished. Both California Plaza towers and the Angelus Plaza apartments are the symbols of an aseptic and dull redevelopment. Even the nostalgic Angel's Flight has changed.

Then and now: what do you think?

Finally, here's another then and now excercise of the same area. Now is 4th street, looking east, corner of Olive:

First picture is from 1913, second is from 1923, and to come to an end, the last one show us a widened street with the base, on the left of the pic, of the Two California Plaza tower.
And that's all for now. More to come soon.

Last edited by Sebisebster; Jan 19, 2011 at 2:23 PM.