View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 11:50 PM
Editor

To me the Raspberry coulee seemed like it was a dish trying to hard to be different. Sometimes fruity/berry flavored things can go well with savory flavors, but this really didn't go with the steak and foie gras. I'm still ticked about it

You're probably right about the pasta, but IMO, there's no excuse for serving pasta with little flavor. Either serve it well or don't serve it at all.

The deserts were good, I forgot to mention that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_olsen View Post
I have, it seems to be the end of its cycle. I wouldn't be surprised if in a year it is closed to be replaced by something else.

The menu surprise, 5 course is usually pretty good, as most places that attempt such a thing usually try to back it up. I've never been disappointed there. For meals, its like a lot of high end places, order the most adventurous thing on the menu you think you would like, because it seems more effort is put into the unusual. The raspberry coulee while seeming out of place, I could see how it would work. The pasta I can't comment on, but at some places pasta is put on the menu to feed people that otherwise would not have something on the menu that fit their taste. Sorta like including a plain old steak on a mostly 'experimental' menu. The fondue for dessert is exceptionally good.

As for cost, if you avoid wine and stick to beer or high balls you can keep your cost down. With the price inflation at Earls and Joey Tomatoes type places it isn't that much more anymore.