View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I don't think we'll see a place become a tech center just because there is an alternative app rooted there. For instance, Snap was supposed to launch Los Angeles into this dominating tech hub, but that hasn't panned out so much.
Snap did help launch LA into a tech hub. The tech industry is now booming in LA thanks to Snap, with every FAANG company presence there, thus all the complaints about Playa Vista gentrification. It didn’t launch LA into an IPO hub, though. The litmus test is which cities are paying tech bros 120K at minimum. That wasn’t common in LA before SNAP.

Quote:
In a sign of the continued shift of jobs and investment north from the traditional bounds of Silicon Valley to the newer tech hub of San Francisco, the northern part of the Bay Area had 385,019 jobs, versus 371,640 in the southern part.
I don’t see how San Francisco gets credit for the increase of tech jobs on the Peninsula, which seems like natural overflow from Silicon Valley. The tech scene is contiguous from Menlo Park, north and south. It stops north of Burlingame until you get to South SF, and then you start seeing a lot of biotech again. From that point, I’d say that’s where SF tech starts. The rest of the Peninsula is more a part of the South Bay ecosystem, just by feel and sensibility.

Also, the talk of the "exodus" of tech companies doesn’t allude to the loss of dominance to me. It alludes to an increasing dominance of Silicon Valley. When you have 2nd, 3rd, 10th expansions, that’s influence reaching further out and growing, not leaving.