View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 4:03 AM

Thanks, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheuspan View Post
i love this thought experiment as such. And some of the building ideas.

It would be neat to take the concept away from the dystopian and into a greener and friendlier utopia.

Like. what if twenty years after construction greenpeace conquered the empire?
I think that my broader plan does explore what you are describing to some degree. In the alternate universe which this city exists in, most of the construction which we have seen up to this point is taking place in the early 20th Century. When the project is complete, the date will have caught up to present day, or possibly even progressed into the near future.

As the project matures, we will explore many different political and economic/social dynamics which could theoretically impact the development of a world capitol city hosting a population of 20+ Million. As the name "New Babylon" suggests, my goal is to ultimately represent the architecture and urban dynamics of every political, cultural, and economic system.

We will see much more of the Manhattan-esque American style; more old European Fascist styles; more Communist styles. We will also see some high-density urban development that reflects the styles of Asia and Dubai. We will see on the outskirts elements of small town America as well as the styles seen in small European towns. As we move into the future, we will see the city evolve into a Star Trek style supercity, possibly even hosting a mile-high docking port for spacecraft (something which I have sketched on paper a little bit, but not given any serious thought yet). The city's primary export will ultimately be urban-grown agricultural commodities. As I move forward, flora will be added, and the city will start to look a little more green. Soon the waterways will be mapped also, and some basic topography will be inserted to give the landscape broader context.

I do have some good news to report fiscally, as I just lined up a new secondary job this week after being semi-unemployed for a while. That means that I can probably buy the new computer which I need to keep this project going soon.

I'm planning to finish the cladding on U.S. Centre next, design a few blocks of highrises to line Central Park, and then get to work on the Dept. of Public Works & Corrections complex which I've been talking about forever but keep putting off. Transit hub still needs to be designed, various ports... the airport... The monorail lines... The list just goes on and on. Ah, yes; and... a Nuclear Power Plant will be appearing soon.