View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 4:35 PM

You introduced the name-calling.

you completely missed the point of the original exchange concerning the imposition of new and unimaginative commercial elements on older developed property crowding out the architect's original concept in favor of maximising the commercial footprint. It generally (always?) results in an ugly monstrosity that destroys the scale of the original building. If the original building is intended to go right out to the sidewalk, I have no problem with that. It is likely the architect recognised that and laid the structure out accordingly with elevations that can be appreciated from up the block or across the street. If he visualises his building on a rise of grass with low hedges and a gazebo, I have no problem with that either. If someone then comes along and crams a dozen retail stores on the front lawn, I can predict with some certainty it is going to look ugly and most of us on this thread are going to lament the result. My example of the strip mall which now fronts the Hollywood Cemetery is familiar to me as I used to live in the neighborhood and can remember the understated wall and scaled setback. By taking my comments out of context you were able to gin up a silly disagreement. I hope you continue to enjoy the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malumot View Post
You couldn't have simply replied, could you? You had to get some name calling in.

Anyway.....Read my prior posts and you'll see my stance on these and a few other issues.