View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Personally, I like this improved functionality... there have been times where I've visited a strange city and just wanted to go for a walk in an interesting neighbourhood, but it wasn't always easy to figure out where to go by looking at a regular map. With this, if I can find a blocks-long stretch of orange I can pretty much take it for granted that there will be something to see and do once I get there.
I think orange simply indicates shops...

There are large chunks of the walled core of Quebec City that aren't orange, likely for the simple and good reason that there isn't retail at street level there, but I would recommend a stroll in this area (for the old architecture and views) way before I'd send a tourist to other areas of the greater city that are orange. The old walled core is one of the main urban tourist magnets in the entire country, but you'll miss half of it if you only rely on Google POI orange zones.

In Sherbrooke as well, one of the main things I'd have a tourist do is to go take a walk in the "Old North" neighborhood (old Victorian homes and centenarian trees, still very homogeneous architecturally), yet I'm sure that's not orange, because there's no retail there.

I just checked for fun and nearly all the nice parts of LĂ©vis (the older areas where you can find buildings from the 1700s) are not orange, yet there's an awful commercial section on Route 173 (the segment of it where you have the Chevy dealership, the A&W and the Taco Bell) that is.

So, yeah, if you're ever around here, please ask what's worth seeing, don't rely on the orange