View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I can understand why some might call the orange layer a bit arbitrary, although I will say that for Winnipeg the key places and areas that actually draw people from other parts of the city all got the orange treatment. It's mainly the more marginal commercial strips that might be of interest just to those in the neighbourhood that were omitted.

Personally, I like this improved functionality... there have been times where I've visited a strange city and just wanted to go for a walk in an interesting neighbourhood, but it wasn't always easy to figure out where to go by looking at a regular map. With this, if I can find a blocks-long stretch of orange I can pretty much take it for granted that there will be something to see and do once I get there.
Point of interest is a term google uses to refer to any entry in their POI database. Could be anything from a doctors office, a gym, a community centre or a restaurant, etc. These shadings are not necessarily the "coolest" or most interesting. For example, I would say an interesting hood in Toronto is King east and Corktown for it's history and character but it's not shaded in the above map (though to drybrain's point it might be when zoomed in more).