View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 7:33 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
i truly appreciate your hyperbole. i have to remind myself to turn down the color/contrast just a little when i read your posts. next time i'm in town for moogfest, i'll make sure to visit montford, which is truly one of a kind in these parts, no other city has anything like it at all. i'll pretend to be rich and knock on some doors and ask people to sell their house to me, you know, for a good time.

/bone
My initial reaction was to remind you that hyperbole is a literary device that helps writing avoid becoming stale and dry, and to suggest that if you preferred something black-and-white and by the numbers, you might enjoy reading the tax code or the phone book. Then I realized you thought I was kidding about people in Montford being harassed to sell their homes, which I assure you I am not.

Although, take heart. Sometimes the rich twat is from Charlotte or Raleigh, and a few people I know have even opened their doors to find Washingtonians and New Yorkers wanting to buy. The one time I witnessed it personally, though, it was someone from California.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947