View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 11:50 PM

Cutted Blocks

[QUOTE=AlvaroLegido;6023666]Remember this one ?

On the next photo, we see the railroad cutting the block between Los Angeles and Alameda starting north from the block on the previous photo (between San Pedro and Alameda).

I think you nailed it AlvaroLegido.

At first I had a bit of trouble reconciling your aerial view with the street view, but after consulting a map of the Pacific Electric Los Angeles Terminal District it all fell into place and I can ad a bit more information.

The two car PE train seen above the double peaked roof has just turned off San Pedro Street on to Aliso Street, having departed the PE terminal at 6th and Main Streets. It will cross over the LA River on the old Aliso viaduct and continue on to the PE Eastern District and Northern District trackage for Pasadena and points east.

Going back to the street view, note that there is trolly wire visible above the street but not running into the "alley" as these spurs were called by the railroad crews. The trolly wire is for the PE cars. The alley is the Southern Pacific spur coming out of the now gong yard at Alameda and Macy streets.
At this point in time the spur would have been switched by steam locomotives.

This two track spur came off Alameda street and crossed over Aliso Street into the alley. There is a boxcar just visible behind the crossing gate at the extreme left of the picture. Two tracks can be seen entering the The LA Warehouse whose sign can be seen on the top of the building.

The freight operations in this area are described on the ERHA (http://www.erha.org/pelines/penterm.htm) site as follows:

"Due to franchise restrictions and to short radius curves, PE was unable to operate freight service over San Pedro Street or Main Street. The considerable number of cars destined from or received by the Southern District had to be handled by SP. This bridge arrangement began in March, 1920. It provided that SP would make the transfer between PE's yard at 8th & Alameda Streets and Macy Street via SP rails on Alameda Street."

Cheers,
Jack