View Single Post
Old Posted May 20, 2016, 3:47 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
The biggest priority on the Jersey side right now should be a tunnel under the Delaware River. The BF is at capacity and PATCO is packed every morning. Without a tunnel it is impractical to talk about any further expansions.
I bet you can shove a few more PATCO trains across the bridge if you automate the line.

The problem with a new Delaware River rail tunnel is that the old South Jersey commuter rail network's been ripped to shreds. It used to end at Federal Street Station ... which happens to have been where DRPA's HQ building is today. Other than the bit in Camden, most of the network is a bunch of freight spurs that could use some TLC.

So I would say the priorities are, in this order:

(1) Get more utility out of the AC line. Add a short turn to Hammonton and run it hourly, half-hourly during peak.

(2) Add PATCO capacity by automating the line. SEPTA can also look into automating the El (for the same reason), btw; it might be advantageous for both parties to use the same or compatible automation software.

(3) Develop the Glassboro light rail.

(4) Extend the Glassboro line down to Millville, and develop LR along the Mt. Holly, Carneys Point, or Salem lines, or the line through Audubon and Somerdale. The latter two will likely require heft of a development lobby, particularly one seeking to replicate Collingswood's success.

And then, when you've got 3 or 4 rail lines converging on Camden, can you take a look at a new Delaware River tunnel.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)