View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
The Columbia Drug Store looks like such a great place with it's unique architecture and outdoor book stand.
Using Google Street Views I recently "toured" the street I used to live on in West Hollywood.
I was delighted to see that the outdoor book stand at Hancock & Santa Monica Blvd was still in business.

google street views
I was surprised there were no cars on the street, parked or otherwise!

And I do realize that I am only on page 140 or so of this thread and have so much more to look at, but I was wondering, E_R, when was the last time you lived here in this area?

This particular building was built (constructed) in 1990-91 and this newsstand in question was one of the first tenants. Sometime soon after you posted this the newsstand relocated because the property owner hiked the rents an absurd amount. Two other people tried to make a go of another one, but last fall the last one vacated and it is now a vacant space. The building has been repainted another color.

As for outdoor newsstands, they have always been really common, but in the last two years it seems most all of the remaining ones have disappeared. When I walked around Hollywood last Monday I saw two vacant ones and none open. I can only think of two still open, one being on Sunset Blvd. across from the Chateau Marmont.

Wonder what you could put in a space like this, besides a news stand?

Also, I live on this street in one of the buildings up the sidewalk!

Where you used to reside is still quite the same, except for the montrosity built in front of it where the "Pacific Bell" repair building used to be.

For what it's worth.