View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 1:46 PM

My friends and I are all coming to the age where we become settled in our careers and make a decent enough income where we'd all like to buy in the next couple of years. Everyone wants to be in Wolseley because its nice, the houses are old and have character, there are actual storefronts and walkable businesses nearby and of course its close to the City and our offices. To me its the closest you can get to Toronto's West End in Winnipeg. Further, we're all fairly urban and liberal and we're used to West Broadway in the sense that part of living here is sometimes you see someone high as a kite kicking a phone booth lol - maybe we're a little desensitized to it. But I know Wolseley has gotten a little expensive for someone in the early stages of their career so people are looking to be close and adjacent to Wolseley. So I know amongst my demographic that's West Broadway, and the blocks north of Wolesely but south of St. Matthews. I'm not sure where else we'd go and what other areas in Winnipeg offer that kind of experience.

I think the idea of a Wolseley "North" is likely inevitable just based on limited supply in Wolseley. However we don't have the ravenous housing market that most other Canadian cities have, along with our small population and a somewhat slow economy, I wouldn't be surprised if the transition takes a long time.

I feel like I've shared this here before, but someone close to me wanted to be in the West End of Toronto but ended up buying in Parkdale in the mid 2000s when it was more affordable and crack was a big "problem" there. But given that she wasn't the only one who wanted to be close to the west end and the Trinity Bellwoods area, the area became pretty trendy. It was the closest a lot of people could get within their budget.

It seems like a similar situation to Wolseley and the West End in Winnipeg, but Winnipeg is on a much slower scale and without the crazy housing market of Toronto.