View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 11, 2024, 1:51 AM
Ham-burgher

If what the former CEO is saying is true, it explains a lot.

I'm of the opinion that leaders of these enterprises should not be academically-focused. There should be a strong connection to the research leadership, but creating new companies and building partnerships with existing ones to commercialize the research takes a strong business-mind.

Years ago I recall a kerfuffle in Mac's business school about the dean coming from outside of the academic sphere. The senior academics didn't like him, and there were alleged issues about how the school was being run. I don't know what happened in the end, but I took a post-graduate course taught by that person, and his experiences provided much great input to his lectures and our course discussions. Anyway, I wonder if conflict between the academics and the "experienced" business people is at the root of the underperformance issues with MIP. And quite correct who knows who is right. We will probably never know. MIP just needs to begin to fulfill the original vision set out for the endeavor, and there are many factors which support that (not just leadership, but timing, competition, the economy, the research and innovation that fuels commercial development, etc.)