View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 7:08 AM

Easter Sunrise Service at the Hollywood Bowl (1944)

Hollywood Photographs

Ever since I first saw this photo years ago I’ve always found it very haunting. I wondered what the sailors and others were thinking about and what they might have been through and even where they were from. The end of the war was over a year off, but at this time no one knew that. They only knew it had been going on for nearly three years at that point. An event like this Sunrise Easter Service may have been more poignant and emotional than usual. This photograph actually inspired me to attend one of these Easter Sunrise Services about a dozen years ago and it was quite memorable. It’s a tradition that’s been under siege recently because of several factors. One was extensive remodeling and the facility wasn’t available a couple times. Another was theft of properties used in the event. The more serious factors, though, are the expense to put it on (it is free) and the unfortunate dwindling of attendance. If it does not continue it’s a real shame because it’s a unique and beautiful experience, even if one is not religiously or spiritually inclined.