View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 1, 2014, 2:57 PM

Sometimes, No One is to Blame

Sure, it was the worst I have seen Atlanta with snow/ice and that includes the blizzard of 1993 especially in regards to traffic. Also, I agree that GDOT, politicians, school officials, forecasters, citizens, employers, etc could have done a better job. But I am slow to cast blame when it comes to things like weather which us humans have little control of - perhaps Al Roker and others should also.

I am rather attentive to the weather. I follow the forecasts and really enjoy 99% of the wide variety of weather that Atlanta has. I hardly ever (maybe never) complain about the weather. Last weekend, I watched the forecasts which stated that the winter weather would be concentrated in South and Middle Georgia but possibilities in South Metro Atlanta.

As late as 11:30 Monday night, I watched Glen Burns on Channel 2 downgrade the Winter Storm Watch to Winter Storm Advisory for Metro Atlanta with dusting to an inch in South Metro. As I rushed to get ready to go to work Tuesday morning, I caught the last glimpse of traffic report and weather forecast where field reporters where searching for snow.

Nonetheless, I made up my mind to leave work at noon because I definitely did not want to be trapped at work due to snow. I'd rather be trapped at home. I work on the Southside and live on the Westside. It had barely started to precipitate and the roads were fine when I left work around noon on the Southside (which is where all the forecasts I had been hearing was supposed to have the crux of the winter storm). And I thought I was doing good. But the more west I went, the heavier the snow fall and the worst the roads got. It turned out that contrary to all the forecast I had been hearing, North Georgia was getting the worst of winter storm and not South and Middle Georgia ---- and that the West Metro (Douglas/Cobb/SoFulton/Atlanta) was getting the worst in Metro Atlanta and not South Metro.

So if Al Roker wants to be so quick to cast blame - place in it variety of places including the forecasts. Otherwise, do not be so quick to blame and be so high and mighty about something like weather which us humans cannot control - no matter what.

Last edited by L41A; Feb 1, 2014 at 3:13 PM.