View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

Very interesting tidbits about the Bimini Baths. I remember reading the LA Times article about it some time ago.

What I'd like to note in the photo you posted:

Notice the wash or creek/arroyo nearby the Bimini Baths. Apparently much of the LA Basin was crisscrossed by these, I assume some even are the result of earthquake faults. Many of these were filled in or graded to be level when developments started being built. Of course some washes still exist and you'll see them in random places, sometimes even within residential neighorhoods, though of course now they're lined with concrete.
The arroyo you pointed out was actually the Bimini Slough, which was eventually filled-in because it was used as a local dumping ground and had become an eyesore. You can still see evidence of the former topography in the low ground that runs parallel and just west of Westmoreland Avenue in this area. The dip is quite pronounced where 1st St crosses the old channel near the Virgil St intersection.

About two years ago there was an article in the LA Weekly about the Los Angeles Basin's historic streams and arroyos that have been lost to development. It was one of the most interesting stories I've read about LA geography in a long while. I haven't had any luck finding it, but if I do I will post a link here.

Oh, and what great photos of the Palomar Ballroom. You even got one of it burning! Here's a quote taken from that same Bresee Center web page I quoted from earlier, in regard to the Palomar's discriminatory policies:

Quote:
Some believe that the Palomar Ballroom was intentionally torched because Count Basie was scheduled to play there; he would have been the first black band to play the Palomar.