View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 9:28 PM

As a post-script to the above, I should mention that the site is now occupied in part by the Bresee Community Center. The Bresee site has some historical information, including this tidbit:

Quote:
Though the schools and many of the neighborhoods in this area were integrated as far back as the 1930s, both the Bimini Baths and the Palomar Ballroom refused to allow anyone of color to enter their premises. In fact, it is now commonly believed that the Bimini Baths were closed down in 1950 when civil rights groups picketed the facility to force it to accept African-Americans.
One of the articles I've read mentioned how the Bimini Baths also did not admit Asians. As for the reason for its ultimate failure, the 2004 Times article linked at the bottom of my previous post states that the Bimini Baths went bankrupt due to mounting liability claims and overall dwindling business, which is certainly plausible; a picket may not have been necessary to shut it down.

Regardless of why this landmark ultimately closed its doors, it is indeed to our community's shame that it was a discriminatory business for its entire history.