View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

this isn't as exciting as live nude girls but it's a mystery location nonetheless.

ebay

the restaurant next door on the right is. . .um . . .gaiety(?)

Martino's Time Machine

By 1966 at least, the Gaiety was gone, NBC as well, as seen in this previously posted photo on NLA:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I got the following from a website that had posted some oral histories of musicians and the like about Hollywood in the 1960's. This one from Don Randi, a songwriter and member of the group The Wrecking Crew, talks about a lot of the eateries frequented back then. No details, but Gaiety is mentioned and a lot of others name dropped. HOW MANY HAVE WE NOT HEARD OF?

https://cavehollywood.com/two-part-documentary-series-on EPIX/May2002

“We loved Musso & Frank’s Grill on Hollywood Boulevard and Johnny’s Steak House. That was my savior. I didn’t have a fuckin dime and I could go and have a three dollar meal in there with a Bone-In Ribeye, you know. We went to Aldo’s, great hamburgers. Sonny and Cher dug that place. Canter’s Delicatessen, once in a while, a coffee shop called Huff’s [Does he mean Hoff's?], Taco Rama, and Pink’s Hot Dogs on La Brea Ave. Another stop was The Dog House on Hollywood Blvd. where you sat on stools on the street and can’t forget The Brown Derby.

“Chris Darrow reminded me of The Burrito King on Sunset Boulevard at Alvarado. The Flying Saucer had the best French Dip sandwiches in town near Wilshire. There was Young China, two doors down from radio station KFWB for fantastic Chinese on Hollywood Blvd. with the best Won Ton soup. The Italian restaurant Miceli’s was on Las Palmas.

“Dennis Wilson loved Ah Fong’s restaurant, delicious Chinese-American food. Gene Norman owned the Marquis restaurant on Sunset Strip, along with his Crescendo and Interlude clubs. I liked the Villa Capri. Mickey Cohen was there on a regular basis. I saw him at Sherry’s as well. There was Hal’s Nest, and The Speak, where all drinks were 39 cents. Phil Spector and I went to The Cock’n Bull. The trout was incredible.

“The record company promo men all went to an Italian spot named Martoni’s. Label owners like Verve Records’ Norman Granz enjoyed the Pacific Dining Car. Barney Kessel and his wife B.J. Baker requested their New York steaks cooked medium at Diamond Jim’s in Hollywood.

“Neil Young, Jack Nitzsche and I would go out to places like the Gaiety Delicatessen. Once in a while Harry Nilsson would come to our table. He was still working at the Crocker Citizen bank as a teller or had a job there. At the time he might have made a record. We all went to the Hollywood Ranch Market. Are you kidding? The tater tots and the chicken gizzards! Even in the late fifties they had a donut machine there! (laughs). I saw Lucille Ball one late night in a full fur mink coat. She gave me the biggest smile. Jack, Neil, Denny Bruce and I also liked to eat at the House of Pancakes on La Cienega. They just closed Hamburger Hamlet! What the fuck is going on? [Text Quotes Copyright 2020 Harvey Kubernik]

Last edited by Martin Pal; Jan 18, 2021 at 7:26 PM.