View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 5:21 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwils01 View Post
They extended the waterfront trail to the old Hospitals now so a lot of it has been improved in the last 3 years. The area by the gold glass building (our city hall) used to be an area for ships to unload freight so there used to be piles of lime and coke and iron ore there and just to the right of the condo's in the last pic is vacant land that is owned by Suncor that used to house oil and gas storage tanks. The city is trying to buy back the property for future development but in the mean time they ordered Suncor to clean up the property.

There are a fair bit of events that go on downtown mostly at Clergue Park which is the park between our two biggest buildings and at The Roberta Bondar Pavilion white is the white tent structure. Mostly music events but the Rotary Fair has a setup with lots of stuff for the family and there are some stuff for the kids every now and then there. Also there is a farmers market by the tent from May to October which we be moved to the St. Mary's Paper site once it's done construction.
My experience passing through that city was back in the early 1980s. I imagine so much has changed, not just the buildings and parks along the waterfront.

At the time I remember hearing about local events on an AM top-40 radio station - one of the few we could get at the cottage. Driving through The Sault felt a bit like Hamilton (my hometown), not just because of Algoma Steel but also the older homes in some neighbourhoods and a few one-way streets.

I really need to get back up there. It's been far too long.