View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 22, 2008, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
How do you figure that? People in Buckhead stayed put when the city splintered along racial lines during the decades of "white flight." It's still predominantly white but is actually one of the more successfully integrated parts of Atlanta.

Help me out with the NIMBYism argument, too. In a city of 500,000, Buckhead's got a population of around 100,000. Yet it pays 45% of the property taxes and a huge share of sales taxes and impact fees. That's been going on for decades. Most of the people I know in Buckhead are okay with paying a disproportionate share of the money, but they want some fairness and responsiveness from city government.

In addition, people in Buckhead have been incredibly generous citizens and have created many of our most prized amenities, such as the High Museum, the Symphony, the Aquarium, the pro sports teams, etc. They sit on the boards of CAP, the Midtown Alliance, the Buckhead Coalition, and our major charitable foundations. They've been the major benefactors to hospitals like Emory, the Shepherd Center, Crawford Long, Piedmont and Grady. They support the local universities and have produced excellent mayors like Ivan Allen and Sam Massell. How do you conclude they are NIMBY's for demanding a more responsive and balanced government?
This is not about demanding a more responsive government. This is about seceding. Am I missing something?