View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
The ups and downs with this project are certainly unlike any other project in Austin's history. But we don't don't when that Manchester email about "in the coming months" was sent to the ABJ. Since the article was about a downtown hotel conference on 08/27, it's implied that the email was sent at that time. But it may be months old and only referenced by the ABJ because it was the most recent one they have from Manchester. The info from the Genral earlier this month seems very hopeful. I'm wondering if the Genral has talked to his contractor friend in the past two days? Any updates Genral?
Yep, talked with him a few minutes ago...the retention wall is still a valid issue/delay. It is critical to the integrity of the underground parking. My buddy told me the soil all around dt Austin is perfect for supporting a building of any height, but wash out from rushing water would obviously compromise the foundation. The retaining wall would prevent this even if the tunnel inlet is not completed.
So completion of the tunnel will not dictate ground breaking. It is the completion of design work and construction of the retention walls that will allow for the big dig. As I said earlier, they won the electrical bid, but he told me they are waiting just like everyone else, but he still says its going to happen. He's not worried about it. We both agreed that if it was being built further away from the creek, it would have been under construction by now.

Last edited by the Genral; Aug 30, 2014 at 4:57 AM.