View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 2:59 PM

Going through my late father's stuff recently, I found this letter:

My dad always told me he was friends with Frank Sinatra back in his days as a reporter, so I admit I was thrilled to find this! I wish I found a photo of them together, but I'll take what I can get!

Though the letter is not dated, Sinatra mentions “High Hopes”, which is a song he released on June 5th, 1959. And June 9th was a Tuesday in 1959, so I think it's reasonable to assume this letter is from 1959.

At first glance I thought the letter mentioned the Garden of Allah, but on closer inspection it's actually the Garden of Eden. Anyone familiar with this place?

I looked up the address for “Puccini” (224 South Beverly Drive) on Google Maps. It's now “Ruth's Chris Steak House”, which seems to have gone out of business.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ru...!4d-118.398768

PS: My mom (also a reporter) liked to tell the story of how she first met Sinatra.

She was down at the Police Station, following up on a story in the mid-1940s, when in march two police officers with a “skinny kid” in handcuffs. Of course, it was Frank Sinatra. He'd gotten arrested for getting in a fistfight.

Despite this violent infraction, my mom said that Sinatra was the picture of charm, was very friendly, and spoke with her at length. Being that this was right after WWII, and my mother was Japanese, not every person was so friendly to her.

A few phone calls were made, and Sinatra was released without being charged. Of course, my mom never reported this story; back then, reporters routinely covered up celebrity high jinks.