View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea517 View Post
Weird, I haven't seen that map and it looks different to the one I had seen. I think it was previously posted here but is found on this link:
http://www.csulb.edu/~odinthor/socal5.html
This map shows Market St only running 2 blocks between Los Angeles and Alameda. I assumed 210 Market St pretty much matches up with today's 210 Temple. I will have to take a closer look at Beaudry's map to get a feel for where everything is and to see how/if I was mistaken.
More map craziness! (I'll let someone else speak to posting pix, as I go through this whole rigamarole that I'm certain is more complicated than it need be.) In any event:

Lots going on in 1906:

210 doesn't show up on my 1921 Baist's map, so we assume it's built soon after, according to your information. It's still there in 1951:

(and a close-up--)

...but the winds of change were a-blowin'. Two words: Parker Center.

Note the way the jail yard wraps around the top "arm" of Parker Center and continues straight toward Los Angeles St. As such, I'm guesstimating the footprint of the Paris Inn as

the blue shape, that is, once a parking lot, now a good part of it beneath the newly-constructed LAPD Metropolitan Detention Center No. 3772.

Last edited by Beaudry; Mar 8, 2011 at 7:58 AM.