View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 6, 2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjansen View Post
This building was never a favorite of mine. It always felt overbearing, and very cold. However, i did find this 1950 photo of the state building that makes it appear really cool in a seamy noir way

USC Digital Archives

S EJ, Thank you so much for posting the telephoto closeup shot of the floor tile. I wasn't aware that so much remained either. Wow! they should restore the tile flooring, and open the foundation up for some type of public space. It's really a shame that it's been fenced off for so long.
Cool picture, really noirish.

Yeah, it would be great if they created some type of public space with that foundation. I remember in the late 1980s the site was slated to be the site of some kind of office building.

I guess the building itself wasn't too elegant; something about the massing or proportions of it or something. Something about it reminds me of the old post office in downtown Long Beach which still exists, though that building is more slender.

I still think it's a shame it had to be knocked down; it could've made a neat City Hall annex or something.

~ Charles Bukowski