View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 6:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post
This is exactly what I mean by my earlier comment. I am not opposed to these cut and cover lids as a means of adding land where none exists now for redevelopment where it makes sense. But this just seems like an area that is not now, and likely will not be for the foreseeable future an area that will see a lot of redevelopment. The housing stock is pretty shoddy, and the area is primarily industrial...not turn of the century LODO industrial, but active industrial with 1-2 story steel buildings not worth ever saving for reuse if that time comes.

They were giving the neighborhood much already by adding the lid and giving them the park which is great...but now they want to (greatly) expand this scope. Honestly CDOT and the city didn't even need to give the neighborhood, and they did, but now that is not enough and they want more. How much is too much to spend to try and "reconnect" some of these neighborhoods, especially in areas such as this? And why is this particular neighborhood special in that regards that we need to spends hundreds of millions to try and reconnect it?
CDOT is trying to put out what it considers carrots to get the I-70 project rolling. The issue, IMO, is one of political appearance: how can CDOT appear to placate local interests at the same time increase I-70's capacity?

At the same time, this all might be a political maneuver to get the federal and state money by making the effort to appear "Green." Besides, for a block or two the auto created thunderous noise will be reduced..

LOL

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf