View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Hey thanks CaliNative..........
Rabbit tastes kinda bland.....people use all kinds of spices to flavor it.

Venison has a pungent wild taste, its dark red in color....no fat. Horse meat is kinda sweet, also no fat. Horse is often called Cheval. Horse meat for humans is not legal in all states. Bison is like beef...very nice muscle meat....lean. Goat I think is quite tasty. Its great in Mexican food.

Always interesting to discuss unusual food.
The Latinos rave about goat meat, cabrito. I do want to try it. Deer sounds kind of gamy, maybe a freshness issue when hunters carry it home unrefrigerated? Horse meat...is the sweetness an issue? My mind would think of dog food. Bison sounds good and healthier than beef. I'll try it. I doubt I'll ever eat insects unless food supplies dry up. Of course they say most processed food has some insects in it. Rabbit I may try. In rainy years we have wild rabbits grazing on our lawn but I'll stick to store bought. Beef tripe I will never eat, or anything made from intestines. I would starve first. I used to eat beef liver but rarely do anymore. My mom sometimes served it and it wasn't terrible with catsup and broiled onions on it but I haven't had it since maybe 1975. Liver used to be common to find in stores but not as much today. One of those foods that fell out of popularity. When I was a kid I remember most stores had calf brains in the meat dept., but you rarely see calf brains in the meat aisles anymore. Probably grossed out people. Never ate calf brains and I never will. Stores used to sell calf kidneys when I was a tadpole in the 1960s, but kidneys are rare. Archaic foods.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jul 3, 2020 at 6:43 AM.