View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The pro-Palestine marches increasingly aren't about showing support and concern for Gaza, but are quickly descending into antisemitic intimidation. As they grow larger and larger this is starting to get concerning.
The Ottawa march despite rain and cold was very well attended. I walked through and it was a mix of various Arabs and Muslims, what I assume are general peaceniks and actually a few Jews (in Kippah or even orthodox garb) as well.

Protests don't always indicate broader political support but the general rule is you have a lot of other people who agree who don't want to go protest.

Trudeau despite what I would say was a pretty balanced (which in the North American context means pro Palestinian) approach was shouted down at a mosque. I understand there are a lot of voices in caucus demanding Canada support the Palestinians. Presumably they are hearing from constituents. As I said before we do have 5X more Muslims than Jews in this country. The white male establishment that gets more of their news from the US is shocked at the Trudeau response to this but this is not the Canada of 2001.