View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 1:49 AM
BANNED

Teenage memories of downtown LA....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
USC's Digital Library has a fairly large collection of Citizens National Trust & Savings Bank photos, mostly from the late 1920s. I've also found a few contemporary shots from other sites, so I'm going to work through the list in the advert below. I've split up the photos so they're not in one monumental post. My aim is to make the most complete list I can, so there may be a few repeats from previous posts.

This is their full-page advert from the 1929 City Directory.

GSV

More to follow ...

Thanks Hoss for posting. That's the old Chester Williams building at the left [photo above] with the rounded corner. My step-father had his office on the top floor in the 1935-1950s era. I recall we used to stop in the bank building on the right and he would do some quick banking business before we had lunch. The lady clerks all knew him by name. He used to keep tabs on his checking account by making pencil notes on the back of envelopes. This was back in the day when a $300 deposit was a lot more money than it is today.

On another note, in those days the entire downtown reeked of cigar smoke. Ugh! When one of his clients left a dead cigar in his office he would throw it out the 12th story window after they left.

Here he is working on legal papers in Chester Williams Building in 1943. He later moved upstairs to a larger office. I believe the office rent was $49 a month in those days and his secretary was paid around $40 a week.
Personal collection

This was a small, dark and very adult restaurant in the the Chester Williams Building. My mother and sister were taken there but never us boys.

Personal CD

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Apr 10, 2014 at 2:23 AM.