View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Take a look at this amazing amateur slide of Circo's c.1950s

eBay

Calisphere

Facebook

I think our mystery building is the one behind the billboards in this night view of Sunset Strip from July 19, 1957 (date from USC's blurrier version of the photo). The bright neon on Ciro's can be seen behind it.

gettyimages.com.

Here's that side of Sunset from the 1956 CD. The MKM Motion Pictures building at 8411 Sunset can be seen at the right of the picture above, so I'm guessing that the mystery building was at 8423 (which includes Gates Realty amongst its tenants). I don't think the building was there very long as the Gene Autry Hotel took its site and the empty lot on the corner in 1963.

LAPL

First, in the 1949 view of Sunset Blvd. above, am I correct that the "M K M" (to be) house is there (white or light color) on the hill behind/under those trees?

Also, in the Ciro's photo that shows the "real estate" (8423) house, I was assuming for the longest time that Ciro's, shown being painted, was being painted beige/pink, but then it dawned on me it actually might be being painted brown. Now I'm not sure at all which.

Most all of Ciro's exterior photos I've been looking at online are not dated, nor do most all of them show the "real estate" (8423) house. HossC's photo of the area from July 19, 1957, shows Ciro's, obviously, but I can't really tell what color it is in that photo. (By the way, Ciro's closed in Dec. of 1957.)

Below: I believe this particular photo (only noted as possibly 1955) seems to show the M K M house (to be) with the trees and painted white, and no "real estate" (8423) building yet. CLICK ON THE PHOTO FOR LARGE SIZE.

Pinterest

This previously seen photo below on NLA does show the "real estate" (8423) building, though it's behind the car. Ciro's color is not the same brown as above...

... and the sides of the "real estate" (8423) building look to be painted gray, not white as in the picture below:

detail

Also, in the above photo, to the left of E_R's red arrow, what is that on the pole sticking up from the sidewalk. It looks like a street sign, but if it is, it's quite aways away from the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
M P, I loved the wallpaper discovery! I wasn't aware that Ciro's had a basement.

Rediscovered wallpaper.

M P, your link to the other wallpaper photos doesn't work.

LINK:
Quote:
Besides these two photos, six more shots of the wallpaper HERE

If not, try this one HERE and scroll down a little.

If that doesn't work, try searching Ciro's Memorabilia Facebook.