View Single Post
Old Posted May 31, 2017, 6:24 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
This is the "anti-pedestrian" wall I was referring to in my last post. At one time there were stairs to a sidewalk, but that was a long time ago. It's just so unimaginably amazing how urban design standards used to be so anti-pedestrian. At least they saved a tree when the cement wall was built.

The parking lot atop the cement wall is the site of the future "Waller Park Place Phase II" 660,000 sq. ft mixed use. I'm holding my breathe for that one to break ground.

It's been mentioned before, but there are a lot of wires/cables hanging from the ugly Fairmont wall that will be used for something yet to be determined.

I believe there are city regulations that require any new development to adhere to pedestrian safety but that's harder to enforce when a property isn't applying for any city permits to do any kind of renovations. I'm not sure they can force the property to do much but that'll change once they property is developed. I think the problem with the project right now is that there is a flood of other properties that have opened up and it might not be as easy as we think to anticipate continued demand.

You have the office building on Colorado that opened up around last year. The new office building that Google will be sharing with other businesses. You have the tower next to it which I know has apartments and I believe it has condos and maybe offices at the lower levels but I can't remember exactly. You have the Austonian which still has condos to sell as well as a condo complex near the Power Plant and the Independent going up. I believe the old Austin concert venue is going to be replaced by office space. That's a lot of new space in the market that hasn't all been leased yet. It would take a big assumption that the city economy will keep growing to justify 3 towers.