View Single Post
Old Posted May 1, 2015, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I have to admit,I prefer the days before CGI. It's so disappointing that CGI effects are being over-used in movies.
Today, if a production calls for a 1,000 person crowd scene, the CGI effects team will say,
"Why stop at 1,000, when we can make it a 100,000 person crowd scene!"
It's just bloated over-kill without any of the charm......like watching a 90 minute video game.

I see a day when a movie might advertise...
No CGI effects used! Real Explosions! Real Crowd Scenes! Real Sets! Real Models!

Now that's something I would go and see.

__
Total agreement. Many films start looking like video games to me. I really think some of these films will be looked upon, in hindsight, as having very bad special effects, like we look back on some films with optical effects and the like. I prefer matte paintings as an effect than CGI. Not alwasy a Tarantino film fan, but I appreciate that he likes to stay away from CGI and do things "in camera." I think David Fincher uses CGI to good advantage. I saw special features on the Zodiac dvd and was amazed at some of the special effects in it that I thought was location filming.
____

Speaking of Double Indemnity, I have only heard of the remake, but those screen photos do not seem very inviting. I understand a recent release of the film on dvd or blu-ay included the 73 minute TV version.
____

Last time I saw Double Indemnity, it was in a theatre...well...did you ever start wondering about a relatively unknown actor that people see all the time because they were in a hugely successful or famous film?

I started wondering about the actor who played Nino Zachetti.

imdb

I love this brooding photo. His name was Byron Barr. I couldn't find out much about him except what imdb related. (Gig Young's birth name was also Byron Barr, incidentally.) He was born in Iowa in 1917 and only lived until 1966 when he was 49. His first film was Double Indemnity (!) when he was 26. How did he get that role? What was he doing before that? Was he in the service during World War II? (Did he know Joe Roig?) During the next seven years, until 1951, he racked up credits in 19 films, a couple more noirs among them, and 1 tv series episode. Then he was gone from Hollywood in his early thirties. Then what?

Last edited by Martin Pal; Jun 30, 2016 at 10:04 PM.