View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 1:16 AM

Great pictures, ethereal. Obsessive as I am, I began comparing them to my Thos Bros atlas--which is not as easy as it might seem, given the telescoped images. For example, at the bottom right of the second picture is Philippe's--but is this the location in the 300-block of Aliso Street taken out by the 101, or the 1950/51-to-present one at Alameda & Ord? Compared to maps, the streets don't seem to make sense either way. But it doesn't really matter--all these pictures reek of noir LA. Keep 'em coming. Btw--I might have said it here before, but it bears repeating-- nothing brings noir back alive like a visit to Philippe's at night... the place, the characters, Union Station down the street.... not to be missed.

NOTE: Finally figured out the photo-to-map coordination--in the second of ethereal's pictures (with Philippe's at the bottom right), the street coming from the bottom-right corner is Main; Alameda is less evident, just on the other side of Philippe's--so this is the post '50/'51 location--and now I remember that these pictures are from 1952 so it all adds up. (I know you have all been waiting for this information with baited breath.)

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Dec 16, 2009 at 3:48 PM.