View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
EXIT: I guess I don't understand your rationale behind not supporting retail now given the current vacancies; don't you think that's a shortsighted stance that could have negative impact on the city in the future? I just want to better understand why you think an inactive wall of apartment windows is better than a wall of empty retail that has the potential to one day be filled?
Just think if you were the owner... would you want to pay for dead space for years (retail sitting empty), or would you want the income from an occupied apartment?

I do think your idea of a community gathering space (like a restaurant) on the ground floor of the future Deco would be a good idea to create some vibrancy which could lead to more... however, look at the retail/restaurant space at Artisan house on Central that used to house Cheuvronts. That place is immediately next to a light rail stop, directly across from the main library, and next to another restaurant (Old Spaghetti Factory) that should create some synergy. Not to mention it's below dozens of residences. The new pizza place looks like it's struggling and Cheuvronts never seemed that busy. If a retail spot in a mixed used development that has seemingly everything going for it isn't very busy and isn't propagating more and more development and retail interest isn't sprouting up (an old historic looking street-fronting retail looking building immediately next door has been closed up for years - I would think that would be a prime candidate for something to go in there with all that's going on around it) I highly doubt a developer is going to waste his money and float "have faith credit" to the City by having his retail sit for years and years unoccupied simply as a good gesture and as a hope that some day the City around will support it. I can't imagine any developer/owner would spend money on that with zero return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Last comment, I swear - but, signage seems to be a huge issue as well. These new developments really suck at leaving a nice space for retailers to show off their name. Skyline is awful - I had no idea a yoga place was ever there, and still can't tell what's there. Another random example is the Tempe City Garage which also happens to be a yoga studio. They just have posters in the window essentially. These stores need signs outside, lit up, above the entry and off the side if wanted.
I think this has more to do with restrictions and standards by the City on signage... that, or developers don't try very hard to get what they can (or ask for signing variances).