View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
/\ He didn't say "not".

JS, it turns out that the warehouse we were bitching about down on 5th St and Jackson that has the demolition permit isn't actually going to be demolished imminently. I found the owners talking about it on some Facebook page and pulling the demolition permit is just part of "the process" so he says. He does want to figure something out for the space and doesn't necessarily want to knock it down. Maybe would something like that space work for the people you are talking about?
Thanks for both clarifications. Any chance you can post or send the Facebook link? Since they aren't looking to make a business out of any showroom area, a more remote location like Jackson/5th would work fine, and if the owner is able and willing - both financially and politically (HP laws) - to add storefront windows , that would create a nice synergy with IceHouse across the street.

I hate what the County has done to Union Station and the Chambers Warehouse; this part of the warehouse district actually has more potentially than Roosevelt Row ever had, IMO. Chambers alone has 6-7 perfect storefronts with 2-3 stories above for lofts, while Union Station would be the perfect hub for Arts events, with 1 acre of land that could stage tents and so on, with more permanent restaurants and galleries inside. There's also a set of perfect storefronts along S Central if you walk to the west of the underpass. They're in god-awful shape, but there's a warehouse with the typical parapet roof detail with space for a lawn in front, and then 4 small, amazing retail stores that would be turned into comic book stores, vintage boutiques, music shop, or small tapas restaurant in any other city. Instead, they'll rot until deemed "unsalvageable" by whichever developer stumbles into the land and they'll become rubble.

EXIT: I guess I don't understand your rationale behind not supporting retail now given the current vacancies; don't you think that's a shortsighted stance that could have negative impact on the city in the future? I just want to better understand why you think an inactive wall of apartment windows is better than a wall of empty retail that has the potential to one day be filled?

I truly stand behind the fact that the majority of the problem we have with retail has to do with the sporadic development patterns that occurred in Tempe and Phoenix last boom cycle. Mixed use development was a hot trend, and so developers built every residential project with retail on the ground level regardless of its surroundings. Many projects, particularly many of the student housing projects that weren't adjacent/near LRT stations, shouldn't have filled their entire ground levels. Someday, Tempe will have the density to support some retail in places like University/McClintock, but not now. Having so many of those developments built in a haphazard fashion diluted the inventory of retail.

When you look at a Tapestry, how could you possibly expect retail to survive, especially given the tenant complications? However, build a Grigio Metro across the street and a Vue on each side, and you started building the residential density and it becomes a matter of time then before a domino effect occurs because the draw of visitors to one store brings access and visibility to all of the stores. That's what is so important about creating these midrise apartments that bring residents close to the ground level and prompt them to walk and utilize whatever retail is available now, and why I think it's important that each project at least includes 1 retail use that's publically accessed (IOW, not a fitness center for residents); just 1 restaurant within a project is enough to break up a pedestrian's walk and helps give the impression of a walkable, shoppable corridor.

The other problem is, of course, the pricing, but with an increase in immediate supply, perhaps pricing can drop to a point where it's worth it for a local business to move in? Skyline/Alta had the only new retail adjact to the campuses, etc. but maybe with the new development, Roosevelt Pointe, etc., those prices can all even out? I don't know.

All I know is that Phoenix will never have a Mill Ave or Michigan Ave. So, creating these small districts of retail is extremely important if there is ever going to be street life beyond 5pm. A pharmacy, deli, bakery, bicycle shop, dry cleaners, cafe, home furnishings, possible grocer, etc. store cluster beneath Alta, the Biomedical Garage, McKinley/4th would be great leading into the more nightlife scene toward the north. Otherwise, you have a small cluster of nightlife and deadzones to the south outside Central until you hit CityScape really. And, that isn't what the city should be on build out.

I agree something needs to be done if pricing is still out of control. I mentioned in another thread the possibility of Valley Metro renting out stores in key locations by partnering with someone like Aramark - and eventually pass along ownership - to create small grab-and-go markets with public restrooms, etc. but it seems like even they don't have the funds to plant that seed. At least in that case, you get residents stopping in for goods, riders coming in to use the facilities or shop, and the chances of other stores following goes up exponentially.

Otherwise, I don't know if the developments themselves are willing to set up temporary spaces? Maybe hire a yoga instructor and hold classes next to their fitness center as an added perk for residents and money-maker for guests? Or, open their fitness center to non-residents for a minor fee?

Last comment, I swear - but, signage seems to be a huge issue as well. These new developments really suck at leaving a nice space for retailers to show off their name. Skyline is awful - I had no idea a yoga place was ever there, and still can't tell what's there. Another random example is the Tempe City Garage which also happens to be a yoga studio. They just have posters in the window essentially. These stores need signs outside, lit up, above the entry and off the side if wanted.