View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 6:28 AM

I'm not sure why some people are getting so worked up over Banksy's comments. He's a great artist, but his opinion on architecture doesn't carry any more weight than anyone else's (especially since to the best of my knowledge, he's never trained as one). And Banksy would hate it with or without the spire randome too, for people trying to make that connection. That's beside the point for him. His criticism is focused more on the so-called "bunker mentality" of it, which to me is kinda silly when you compare the appearance of the former twin towers with the current One WTC. While less secure, the old twin towers definitely seemed on the surface to be more utilitarian, vanilla and clinical than the new tower. Their attachment comes mostly through their absence. The new tower is an improvement on the downtown skyline, and while not the soaring, groundbreaking monument to New York's spirit it should have been, it's not a disaster either.

Like someone else said, the true bottoming-out for NYC architecture was the 70's where, besides the twin-towers, the only decent building to come out of that decade was the Citigroup Center (and that almost collapsed due to a shoddy structural design).

In contrast, in the 00's and 10's we have gotten (or we will get) Beekman tower, 4 World Trade Center, Bank of America tower, NY Times tower and One57. A lot of cool new towers that are redefining the skyline. So while I love Banksy's guerrilla art, I'm not sure how well informed his editorial opinions are.