View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 3:03 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
I just bought the Nikon 14-24 2.8 lens a few days ago. I sold my Tokina 11-16, but it was worth it. I took some pics of it tonight, with my also new R1C1 flash unit.

Ive only gone out to take pictures with it once but heres one from the Rice Lofts in downtown Houston.

Damn, that's some impressive gear, photoLith!

Anyhow, I've got another question for the gang. I've decided against picking up that 85mm 1.4 prime I was thinking of (pretty limited use, honestly), at least for the time being, but I'm looking into picking up a nice macro lens. I definitely like photographing bugs, flowers, other small objects (my mineral collection as well), and I think it would serve me well. The one I'm looking into right now is the Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro, given its pretty reasonable pricepoint of about $400. Only thing I'm not quite sure about is the fact that the lens extends greatly when focusing for macro, since it's not an internal focus mechanism. Might be a bit difficult in terms of working distance when taking photos of, well, living creatures!

I'd love that Nikkor 105mm f2.8 with the VR, but I simply can't justify the cost (more than double the Tamron) right now, even though I'm sure it's a better lens.

I'm open to any and all suggestions from you guys as far as a good macro for my D5100, though. Seems like I'm a bit limited because of the fact I need a lens with an autofocus motor as opposed to my camera having it...

Aaron (Glowrock)