View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

eBay
I believe the 1894 Sanborn Map at the Library of Congress proves this photo was taken from 429 Anderson Street and
looks up Anderson toward and beyond Macy Street/Cesar Chavez Avenue. The four homes across the street, the driveway
between the middle two homes, and the commercial building next door to 429 all match the map.

Today, it looks like N. Mission Road runs about where Anderson Street did, so I guess the area in the foreground of the
photo would be about here, just north of the freeway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

And here's a closer look at the tower (and two tall chimeys) in the distance....As you can see the tower appears to have an open-air cupola.

detail / top left corner

And here is that large house on the hill on the opposite side of the photograph.

detail / top right
The tower with the cupola might belong to the Charles Stern mansion at 535 Mission Road, also on the same
Sanborn Map (look north of Macy Street). The mansion appears impressive, but I couldn't find a close-up view.
The mansion seems to have been completed in early 1891, according to Los Angeles Herald articles on January 1
and January 4.

Page 1306 had a discussion of this area and some of the structures visible. The house on the hill near the light mast
belonged to carriagemaker Richard Molony.

Thanks for finding this cool old pic, e_r.

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Dec 12, 2019 at 6:58 AM. Reason: not sure about tower