View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 4:06 AM

Exxon was never going to leave Houston and move 20,000+ employees away from the energy capital.

As for how well it is being received, we'll see. Personally, I think Exxon made a mistake. The energy business already has an aging workforce and is finding it hard to find qualified candidates. I know a handful of long time Exxon employees who are PISSED OFF about their moves. These are guys that have spent 10-30 years building their lives in West U, Tanglewood, and Southampton (they worked downtown or near Greenway Plaza) and now they are looking at MUCH longer commutes or uprooting their families. I know one who is planning on retiring early and one who is busy with every head hunter in town looking to jump ship to Chevron, Shell, or anyone located closer to his home in Southside Place. I'd imagine there are quite a few folks who might be doing the same.

Exxon is taking a gamble that this campus will help set them apart whereas Chevron and Shell have chosen the opposite by remaining and expanding their downtown digs. Most younger folks I know would choose downtown over Springwoods if all other things were equal (pay, hours, benefits, etc...).