View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 2:54 AM

Wow, wow, wow. I love these pictures. This is the Wilshire Boulevard *I* remember as a child. I've mentioned this on here before, but as a very young child, I lived in the Miracle Mile District, when I was 4 years old to when I was 7 (this would be from 1974-1977). I lived on Cochran Avenue, south of Wilshire; hehe and my mother would always make it a point to say to people that we lived NORTH of Olympic. My friend lived on Sierra Bonita. But anyway, that Carnation Building brings back memories; I remember one time my family went to the Carnation restaurant that was there on the ground floor, and for some reason my dad stormed out of there, pissed off, leaving my mother and me and my sister inside, and then we left too. I don't remember what exactly happened, but I remember a waitress apologizing to my mother but my mother not saying anything, we just up and left our booth. I don't know if the service was really bad, or if something was said that insulted my dad or what, but we never went back there again. Hehe and that Carnation Company sign on the building would always make me think of that incident. It hasn't said Carnation Company on the building for a few decades now, but I always think of it as the Carnation building.

What would really bring back memories for me would be if there was a picture of the old Lou Ehlers Cadillac dealership near the Carnation Building with mid-1970s bronze-colored Fleetwoods and de Villes on the lot.

Thanks for posting these, Gaylord.

~ Charles Bukowski