View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 12:48 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I haven't read anything about BART being able to increase capacity with an additional door. I get what you're saying but I'm just not convinced a shorter dwell times of a maybe a few seconds is really going to add up to allowing BART to run more trains. I could be wrong but I feel like BART would be advertising that if it was the case.
BART wanted and got six exits/entrances in each new car to shorten dwell times. Shorter dwell times mean more trains can serve a given station in a given hour. More trains per hour can carry more passengers.

Quote:
I think the only thing that would allow them to run more trains is a new/upgraded train control system, as you said. Currently they run 24 trains per hour during the peak.
An upgraded control system is another piece of the puzzle, as are additional exits from the platforms at Embarcadero and Montgomery to reduce crowding that slows boarding/deboarding and thus increases dwell times.