View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
MSE walls have straps that project back into the soils, and are layered usually with some geotextile fabrics. Some use lightweight fills, such as cellular concrete. Lighter than typical soil which settles out over years. The faces can be adjusted so they align properly, but are otherwise static like was mentioned. One thing to note, these walls are designed to settle out. Recent project in Winnipeg for a fly-over had the MSE settle by almost 2 feet, by design.

MSE walls are very common these days as they are cheaper and typically easier to install than pre-cast concrete. They're delivered to site just like a giant Lego project, and can be assembled as needed. No I don't sell MSE walls either!

Personally I like everything old school concrete. Just because it looks more industrial IMO. I like old industrial areas. Have that certain feel to it, a remnant of the old glory days.
Interesting - thanks.
When you say the MSE settles by almost 2 feet do you mean straight down or do they migrate out as well?
Thats kind of the reason I was asking. I have had experience with much much smaller retaining walls and migration over time is an issue but the MSE's installed years ago still look great.