View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 3:12 PM
not a cynic

To reduce clutter in the Boise projects thread, replying here instead:

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Of Trees View Post
Jefferson is a thru street between 17th and 23rd, and is a bit of a relic from its old days of feeding cars to 23rd when it was actually part of Highway 44. I don't know why it's still a thru street in that section, to be honest.

The one that I thought was getting more controversy these days is Pleasanton. It's a thru street from 27th to the end, and it's also the primary connection to the Greenbelt path where the new bridge was built going to Garden City. Personally, I'd be fine with making Pleasanton the thru street, perhaps with 4 way stops at 23rd and 27th, if it's needed.

27th is going to get narrowed to three lanes, which will greatly help with left turning there.

I'm also in complete agreement with the rest of you--I'm very glad they're not going to dead end cross streets. All this will do is make the few connected streets more painful for those who live on them.

Quote:
27th is going to get narrowed to three lanes, which will greatly help with left turning there.
The left turns I'm referring to are from the cross streets on to 27th and/or 30th since the issue is cut through traffic. However, those streets are so short that cut through traffic simply isn't an issue. There is very little through traffic except neighborhood residents and an occasional lost person. I live on one of those and more than half the time I use Idaho/Main to 27th or 23rd to get from downtown to my neighborhood. If cross traffic does become increased substantially, then left turns could be restricted.

The Pleasanton problem has been solved since there will be no park entrance whatsoever at Pleasanton/30th. So east/west wise, Stewart from 27th to the Extension will probably take the greatest new burden. This a actually pretty good planning. Stewart doesn't take off from State like Pleasanton, so drivers coming from the east on State will be encouraged to go all the way to ITD to make their approach to ES Park.

Some will likely turn left on 27th from State and then right on Stewart. But that will all have to be tweaked after the new road is in for a year or so.

Last edited by boisecynic; Feb 1, 2011 at 9:57 PM.