View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
"The Votes for Women Club" Members campaigning at Luna Park, 4th of July, Los Angeles Cali. just before going up in balloon."
__
Did someone say "Luna Park"?

Luna Park opened in 1911 and closed in 1912.

westland

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post

New ownership in 1899 brought new infrastructure. The old [Washington Gardens] pleasure grounds were developed into 12-acre Chutes Park starting in 1900. By 1901 a baseball park with stadium filled the rest of the site. The two attractions ran concurrently until Chutes Amusement Park (briefly renamed "Luna Park" ) closed ca 1912. Although at least one organization tried to get it going again, all trace of Chutes Park was gone by 1914, replaced by David Horsley's Bostock's Jungle/Horsley Park Zoo and movie studio for making "animal pictures".

When the jungle/zoo/studio closed in 1919 and the stadium moved to Wrigley Field in 1925 (Avalon/41st St/42nd Pl/ San Pedro, south of Santa Barbara/MLK Blvd), a remnant of Washington Park became the "vacant lot" across from the International Mart/Mode O'Day building, which we've seen so many times, with its giant Christmas Tree, Aimee Semple McPherson's parade and, of course, the Auto Show which went up in flames.

.....................................................................................

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfredmertz View Post
...the photo is nice. And the joke still works...
The photo is wonderful (and I laughed at the joke), I just wanted Jayne Marie to get credit. I was struck how much the newer photo of Jayne Marie looked like her childhood self.

Thx for the post.

Last edited by tovangar2; Dec 30, 2015 at 12:47 AM. Reason: add reply