View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 4:42 AM

This thread is funny to me. I mean I've heard about Toronto arrogance from Canadians but actually reading it here. Yikes.

Toronto is not really on a world standing that you think it is (who the hell considers Toronto miles ahead of Guangzhou? Is Seoul also behind Toronto?). And while Chicago has it's problems it is a very well established mega-city with a long history and plenty of colossal cultural contributions and influence. Toronto looks like a makeshift town by comparison (hyperbole but you get the idea). Toronto still struggles to compete with Detroit in cultural relevancy and contributions (you can completely forget about architecture and history, Toronto is probably on the same level as Columbus OH in that regard).

Toronto only seems more international because of it's immigrants which Canada heavily steers into the city. The US is not so accommodating to immigrants for obvious reasons but that's no fault of Chicago and Chicago does not have the unique position of being at the drivers seat of an entire nation that allows it to disproportionately suck up resources. Had it not been for Quebec's separatism movement would Toronto even be anything? Probably not. Not to be harsh but for all the hubris there really isn't much special about Toronto.

So while Toronto will likely and eventually surpass Chicagoland in population and size of economy it wont be anywhere close to it in all other aspects. Toronto is the more traditionally urban Dallas Texas of the North American Great Lakes and that's just the most honest and truthful comparison.