View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 2:32 AM

lol. Very creative AlbanyNY!

...oh my, I just noticed you changed the cars too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post

I believe that's the Don Jose de Arnaz ranch house. Robertson Blvd. was originally Arnaz, if I remember correctly.
The house was on the west side, about halfway between Hamilton High and Airdrome Street.

Cheviothillshistory.org has an old article and other information on the Arnaz ranch house. In addition to photos
of the house, in one of the photos you can see the squat barn in the rear and a bit of the water tank tower.
Thanks so much for indentifying that forlorn farm FW.

Here's a small bit of extra information.

June 27, 1905

Los Angeles Herald, 27 June 1905

Do you think that could be the Hauser Packing Company water tower on the horizon?

from the link provided by FW

squint, and you'll see it.

detail

This photograph is especially intriguing.
from 1939
from the link provided by FW

Photo text: In this bed stayed visiting notables. In it also was born Eliberto Arnaz, last of Don Jose’s 18 children.
Penciled on the wall beside the bed are cartoons labeled “The Hated Kaiser” and “The Guy with the Loud Shirt.”
On other cracked walls are scribblings and records of accounts.

I don't understand who is writing on the walls? Did the farm house sit empty for a number of years before the Minorini family moved in? (see below)

The Arnaz farmhouse was inhabitied by the Minorini family in the 1930s.

"For the past 14 years the C. Minorini family has occupied the ‘‘palace,” as Mrs. Minorini terms it.
When they moved in the bats and spiders moved out. They spent $700 making the lower floor habitable
by covering the walls with plasterboard, putting in window glass, and installing plumbing, electric lights and gas.

"The six bedrooms on the second floor are empty except for a massive bedstead.
Mrs. Minorini said Abraham Lincoln was supposed to have slept in the bed – but Lincoln was dead
before the house was built. Certain it is, however, that many notables visiting Los Angeles stayed in the old house
and used the bed."

"A gold moulding, as bright as the day it was put into place, runs around the ceiling of the front bedroom.
This room with its many-shuttered bay window was occupied by Senora Maria Camarillo y Arnaz herself.
She used to say that from her window she could see every light in Los Angeles and could count them all."

from the The Beverly Hills Citizen, June 23, 1939

oh, & one last thing:
Does anyone know what “The Guy with the Loud Shirt” is in reference to? (written on the bedroom wall)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 15, 2018 at 3:06 AM.