View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorAtomic View Post

My grandma's house back in 1948, Built in 1908, Possibly 1904. 1313 Garfield Ave. South Pasadena, CA. - John E. Marble Jr. Estate. Originally part of Rancho San Pascual (Mexican land grant).

I have never been able to find any photos of the home prior to my grandfather (who owned El Leon De Oro Cantina previously known as Pontrellis Ballroom and before that Korbel Hall, 1866 E 1st St. In Boyle Heights) buying the very large estate in 1975.

Other odds and ends I know from internet research (and mail we still get) is the original owner John Emerson Marble Jr. a Doctor of Law who attended Stanford, lived in the house with his wife a prominent collector of silverware (which is now housed at the nearby Huntington Library) and their daughter.

John Emerson Marble Jr. was also the son of a Colonel, John M. C. Marble who served as one of the founding members of The National Bank of California and John Jr, later becoming vice president. via The Banking Law Journal, Volume 20

Would love to know more as I know my family owning the home is prob soon to come to an end as my grandmother gets older and the home is just much too big. Would love to see if anyone can help find more information or pictures! - Victor
Oh wow, I drive by this house all the time. Very interesting information. Thanks for sharing that!

~ Charles Bukowski