View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjansen View Post
GW, amazing west adams photos and commentary. also great images of the otis house! i wonder if the times building memorial sculpture still exists somewhere.......

Otis College of Art and Design

Otis College of Art and Design
The end of The Bivouac. A number of different signs were on the lawn over the years,
reflecting the graphics of successive times. It's always interesting to me to be
reminded of what's behind stucco--the Mission Revival here is revealed as stage set.

LAPL

Harrison Gray Otis's house at 2401 Wilshire (which, according to the militaristic world he made for himself, he referred to as "The Bivouac") was given to Los Angeles County "to be used for the advancement of the arts." The County started the Otis Art Institute in 1918. The adjacent E.T. Earl house was acquired by the school at some point; the Otis and Earl houses were two of the three earliest on Wilshire Boulevard, and both were demolished ca. 1957 in order to build a bigger school. As for the folly--I found a footnote in my copy of Privileged Son: Otis Chandler and The Rise and Fall of the L.A. Times Dynasty by Dennis McDougal (an excellent read) which says that the replica of the bombed Times building "had been made from its rubble and stood on the grounds of the General's former home for nearly 40 years" before being broken up, the pieces given to Otis students.