View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 11:28 PM

Wonderful PBS video on 1920s & 1929 stock market crash

Made in 1990 but because of that they were still able to interview people alive and working on Wall Street during the 1929 crash. All of these people would ge gone now, so this kind of first person account couldn't be remade today. You will love it, especially if you are a stock investor interested in financial history and avoiding market crashes. From the excellent "American Experience" series, "The Crash of 1929". About 50 minutes long but well worth it and still the best documentary of the crash of 1929.

Today the market looks as speculative and frothy as it was in 1929 before the crash, so this might save you some money if stocks crash again. It is very entertaining and you will become an expert on the "Great Crash". Lots of period film footage. Enjoy! :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAZjlxWNszw&t=2695s

Source: from The American Experience--"The Crash of 1929", PBS video on youtube

Note: video no longer available, 4/3/22. I'll try to find one as good.

Fred MacMurray sings the 1929 hit song "I'm in the Market for You" released in the summer of 1929 right before the crash that started after Labor Day. Song was a big hit since everybody was obsessed with the stock market. Fred starts crooning about half way through. MacMurray started as a singer and musician before his busy acting acting career in films and television. Who doesn't remember Fred in the noirish classic "Double Indemnity" or "My Three Sons"? But before that, he was a saxophonist and singer:

Video Link

Last edited by CaliNative; Apr 3, 2022 at 12:41 PM.