View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej

Also one of my faves. According to the LAPL website, a year after the current City Hall opened, the furnishings of the 1888 City Hall were auctioned off in January of 1928 before the building was demolished later in the year. It also gives the address as having been 226 S. Broadway. Municipal departments, as well as the offices for: Clerk and Council, Tax Collector, Treasurer, Chief of Fire Department, Zanjero, Building Inspector, Board of Education, Board of Health, Health Officer, Board of Public Works, Mayor's office, Council Chambers, City Attorney, Superintendent of Streets, Assessor, Public Library, and City Surveyor, among others were housed here from 1888 until 1928; a courtroom and several private offices were also located here.
sopas_ej: I'm really curious - what search terms did you use to find this info and photos? For the longest time I've been trying to find pictures of old City Hall in its twilight years, and nothing like these images has ever come up for me. (Except the photo of the truncated tower - that one I'd seen before.) I've also been going batty trying to find out the exact street address of old City Hall... and here it is! I guess I've just been looking in the wrong place... or using the wrong search terms...

Last edited by Los Angeles Past; Jun 12, 2012 at 9:27 AM.