View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Does San Francisco have any kind of a pest problem? Do you get the little black Argentine ants like we do in SoCal sometimes--they are really annoying? Mice, rats, roaches, pigeons? Union Square & the Civic Square used to be loaded with pigeons, but some people like them.
You know, I live on the 5th and 6th floors of my building and I rarely if ever see the sort of pest like ants that crawl in from outside. What I get are things I bring in, usually from the grocery store, like the weevils I described above or roaches which can sometimes also hitch hike on purchased food.

We do have some flying insects including common house flies but they aren't that big a problem. Many people don't have window screens.

Yes, the pigeons are a scourge and there are businesses that do very well "pigeon-proofing" buildings (including mine) but the resurgence of Peregrine Falcons and a few other birds of prey adapted to city life is helping.

Peregrine flying past Alcatraz

https://www.mercurynews.com/2015/11/...three-decades/

And yes, we have rats the size of racoons that you see especially in below-grade holes where buildings have been demo'd but the foundations left pending new development. But I have seen them in alleys and almost anywhere there is a food source, usually at night.